17 February 2018
Rob, Lydia, Pete, Mary P., Mary E, Tom S, Phil H
We started with a moment of silence.
1. Passed around sign in sheet
2. Thoughts from Phil: Phil mentioned his dismay at our current political climate and his attempts to reach Jack Bergman and VA regarding claim regarding agent orange. He mentioned that many people are in his predicament as well. Rob mentioned that we call our representatives regarding the current political climate.
3. Last month: Peacebuilders were here and need volunteers. Dr. Michael McGill is the contact person: 1 773 592-0951. Skype: mikemcgill; e-mail- michael@YoungPeacebulders.com
4. Poster of True Cost of war: Tim had a book signing in Roseburg, Oregon, site of horrific school shooting just two years ago. Starting a VFP chapter in Roseburg. Discussion ensued about gun violence. Discussion about DACA also ensued. $500 registration fee to sign up for DACA; which then gives the government all information.
5. International Day of Peace: Organizational meeting in April. No date as of yet. Penny highlighted the need for volunteers for this event.
6. Women’s March-So many people!!! Lots of comments on the VFP flag. Not much media coverage was noted. Mary E. commented that in our recent history, we have not have marches like this. It is history making for this town.
7. Vets for Peace National Convention is in St. Paul, Minnesota at the St. Paul Intercontinental Hotel August 22-27, 2018.
8. Democratic Fundraiser: No one attended. Disgruntlement ensued regarding Debbie Stabenow.
9. The Military Parade that the president wants to do may cost up to $30 and $60 million. It will not happen this year because there is no money appropriated.
10. Our president dodged the draft because of a “bone spur”.
11. Treasurer report was provided by Lydia.
PLEASE NOTE THAT PETE THANKED US FOR OUR DONATION THE HUMANE SOCIETY IN HONOR OF HIS DAUGHTER’S LIFE AND SADNESS AT HER UNTIMELY DEATH.
NOTE: WE MAY HAVE AN OUTSTANDING BILL FROM THE NORTHEN EXPRESS. TIM, DID YOU CONTACT THE EXPRESS?
12. Library: Tom shared: League of Women’s Voters of Leelanau County talk on Health Care Crises; Fed Up and Gore Vidal videos; %71 since the 1940’s of our youth can’t qualify for military service because of health concerns; video shared called “Kings of Kallstadt” regarding Trumps inheriting of Trumps ancestory/history. Trump’s father was an active member of the Ku Klux Clan; Tom showed us an ad for cannabis in a local health magazine called Taste for Life. Talk ensued about a centralized location for a library with Tom Emmeot’s material. Cannibis Hemp is less than 3% but Cannibis Marijuana is more than 3%.
13. Publicity committee report: None. Discussion ensued regarding future plans. The Northern Express did not have any notice of our meeting this month. We talked about different types of advertisement. Mary E. motioned to approach Sally regarding her interest in continuing as the Publicity Committee. Lydia seconded this motion. All were in favor.
14. Scholarship: We will be getting applications in soon. Lydia will look at the site to review the current application in NMC’s publications/media. The White Pines Press is quite pro military.
1. We discussed another summer garage sale in June at Bernie’s house. Lydia suggested we wait until we have more members to decide when. Jalene did a huge amount on the pricing. Perhaps we set up the tables the weekend before or set up on Wednesday or Thursday night. Mary E. proposed that we price before and maybe have a committee. Rob is our guy. Garage Sale goes into general fund.
1. Silent Auction is still on the table. It was voted down in the November meeting. In January it was brought up again. Maybe we could do a silent auction during the garage sale as an idea. The two reasons we did not think it was a good idea were: 1. A purpose now since we don’t have a scholarship fund; 2. The bulk of the workload fell on a few shoulders
2. Peace Poles: 1. The f and m park one was used because we didn’t have a peace pole for the peace city. Perhaps our garage sale can go to this. We are also down another because of it being stolen.
3. A presidential decision was made to not walk because of weather and numbers.
As recorded by Mary P.